Sunday, April 20, 2014

On the Menu: Poutine

I'm going to let you in on a secret.

Poutine sounds really, really bizarre, but in actuality it is amazing.

Really, really amazing.

Poutine is originally from Quebec (thus the French-sounding name), but when I traveled though the Northwest Territories on my way to the Chilkoot Trail, it was on the menu at almost every little restaurant we stopped. It truly is a Canadian dish.

Given the number of times I've been through Canada, it's surprising I've never had poutine before. But it's such a simple combination; just french fries smothered with cheese curds and gravy; that I decided to have a go and make up my own recipe.

It was divine.

I'd even consider adding sausage to the gravy or eating it for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. Anytime, really. It's that good.

Poutine
Serves 4

2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
2 cups milk
1/4 lb cheese curds (cut small)
1 10 oz bag french fries (we used thin and crispy but any kind will do)
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Prepare french fries according to package directions.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Once completely melted, mix in flour to make a roux.
3. Add milk a little at a time, whisking well after each addition. The gravy should be smooth, not lumpy. Continue to add a little bit of milk to the gravy until the milk is gone. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Once the fries are done, sprinkle liberally with cheese curds, then top with gravy. Eat immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment